Saint Mary of Kakome’s Monastery

The monastery of Kakome is a fortified monastery, comprised of residential buildings situated in the two corners of the courtyard, and the church dedicated to Saint Mary in the centre



The monastery of Kakome is a fortified monastery, comprised of residential buildings situated in the two corners of the courtyard, and the church dedicated to Saint Mary in the centre. It is constructed in the XIV century. The church belongs to the group of churches with three absidas. The nave is cross-shaped and the church has a dome-shaped roof. The nave is preceded by an arched narthex, at the front of which is a bell tower. The frescoes of the church were produced by a painter named Michal, according to a 1672 inscription inside the church. It is located in the Bay of Kakome; it is reached through a paved road.

Church of St. Spiridhoni at Vuno

The monastery of St. Spiridhoni is positioned in the southwestern part of the village, near St. Mehilli church.



The monastery of St. Spiridhoni is positioned in the southwestern part of the village, near St. Mehilli church. It was built in 1777 and painted in 1784. The church is notable for its mural paintings, inscriptions and icons. The church is a basilica, with the vestibule, narthex, naos and the place of altar. There is a high tower bell near it with two dugouts built at the same time with the church. A cypress has grown on the tower bell.

Church of St. Sergji & Baku at Himara

The church used to be the centre of the diocesan of Himara, around the year 1019 when it was annexed to the Head Diocese of Ohri. It was built on the highest point in the north of the castle of Himara.



The church used to be the centre of the diocesan of Himara, around the year 1019 when it was annexed to the Head Diocese of Ohri. It was built on the highest point in the north of the castle of Himara. There are traces of some periods of reconstruction on its walls and it comprises the narthex, naos and the place of the altar separated from them by a stone iconostas. The old walls were built with stones of different dimensions. Considering the construction techniques and historical documents it is concluded that the church belonged to the early XI century.

Castle of Borsh at Sopoti Hill

Sopoti citadel known as the Borsh Castle is located on top of Sopoti hill north of Borsh about 500 m above sea level. It was built on the 4thcentury B.C., by Epirote-Illyrian tribes.



Sopoti citadel known as the Borsh Castle is located on top of Sopoti hill north of Borsh about 500 m above sea level. It was built on the 4thcentury B.C., by Epirote-Illyrian tribes. The castle was heavily damaged during the barbarian invasions of the 5th and 6th centuries A.D., rebuilt in the Middle Ages and it went under an overall restoration by Ottomans on the 18thcentury, while the last reconstruction in 1908.

The castle has an irregular form that suits to the rocky territory. The castle is reached through a recently restored walking path.

Castle and the Ancient village of Old Himara

The castle of Himare if found on the highest hill of the village.



The castle of Himare if found on the highest hill of the village. The foundations of the castle are Hellenistic (around 4th century BC). The walls are constructed with finely hewn blocks of stone and being erected over abysses has made Himara a well protected place. The construction techniques show the fortified character of Himara in the Antiquity and Medieval period. The oldest part of Upper Himara, a traditional village, is located within the walls of the castle where the majority of the traditional houses are concentrated. Today the surrounding walls of the castle and the majority of the buildings are in ruins.